About Me

My photo
Chocolate and coffee make me happy!!

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Spicy Tomato Cream Pasta

So I've been slack, its been a while.  I actually made this recipe weeks ago and haven't uploaded it.  The inspiration for this....my husband and I loved this small Italian restaurant back home in this farm town.  Well it was fabulous and it went out of business unfortunately.  But he always ordered this pasta called "Rigatoni de madeira", or something like that.  I'm not Italian, I just look it, so I cannot translate this for you.  But like almost everything I see on a menu, I try to recreate it.  And plus I love my husband so I just strive to make his belly happy.  This makes his belly happy :)

Ingredients:
Extra virgin olive oil
8oz diced pancetta
2 medium yellow onions
3 links of Italian sausage, cut into pieces
3Tbsp garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
1 2.25oz can sliced black olives
1 1/2tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp diced dried basil
1 tsp crushed black pepper
Handful of fresh chopped basil
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 box Rigatoni
Freshly grated parmesan cheese
Fresh flat leaf Italian parsley

I doubled my recipe (see picture) since we were having company, so do not copy that picture ;)

Get out the trusty ole dutch oven!!  I'm telling ya-I use the heck out of my dutch oven!  Add a few tablespoons of EVOO to the bottom of the pan.  Add the diced pancetta and onions and sauté until the pancetta is slightly crispy and the onions are translucent.  Add the Italian sausage and cook thoroughly.
Next add the garlic and black olives and cook for just a minute or two.  Add your diced tomatoes, crushed red peppers, diced dried basil, crushed black pepper, and fresh basil and simmer.
  In the meantime get your water boiling for your pasta.  Don't forget to salt the water!  Follow the cooking instructions for your rigatoni.  I like mine al dente, but cook to your preference.  When your pasta is close to being done, add the heavy cream to your sauce.  Let this simmer for a few more minutes until heated throughout.
Serve your delicious sauce on your rigatoni.  Top with freshly grated parm and fresh flat leaf parsley!  Don't forget your garlic bread and garden salad too.  I had some happy tasters:



No comments:

Post a Comment